A child psychologist in Boulder, Jennifer, left me a message today to let me know that she definitely wants the office. Which would be exciting, except for the facts that she only wants it for a year, and for only $700 / month. I’m skeptical about whether the Dana owners will let me out of the lease if the new person only signs for a year. The lease, of course, is for three more years, and the current rent is $946 / month.
That said, if the owners would let me out of the lease pursuant to a new tenant signing on for a year (which, again, I doubt), I would consider paying $1476 to subsidize Kathleen for six months, which is what she’s asked me to do. I’d plan to pay half of this up front, out of my inheritance (which is shrinking fast, but can still cover $738 without too much problem). The other $738, I would propose to pay in monthly installments of $123 for the next six months, which I could also afford. After that time, I would be absolved, free and clear, from the Dana Building, having paid all I agreed to pay. I would have lost $6206 on the deal, but would have gained freedom from yet another albatross from my debting days, and having learned a very important lesson:
THINK VERY, VERY HARD BEFORE YOU SIGN ANY PAPERS BY WHICH YOU WILL OWE ANYONE A LARGE SUM OF MONEY OVER A LONG PERIOD OF TIME.
A lesson worth learning, I suppose. I guarantee I’ll never sign my name to anything that casually again, and never let my need to look good bite me like it did here. That’s the $6206 lesson.
No comments:
Post a Comment